You have the right to apply for access to health and other information held about you. A health record is defined in the Data Protection Act as being any record which consists of information relating to the physical or mental health or condition of an identifiable individual and has been made by or on behalf of a health professional in connection with the care of the individual.
Access is generally provided under the following statutes:
- The Data Protection Act 2018 (living individuals records) - provides individuals (data subjects) with the right to access their personal data. The right can also be exercised by an authorised representative on the individual's behalf
- The Access to Health Records Act 1990 (Deceased patients' health records) - provides a right of access to deceased patient health records by authorised representatives.
Accessing other types of information
If you wish to gain access to any other type of recorded information held within the trust, you can make a request under the provisions of the Freedom of Information.
- Anyone authorised in writing by the patient.
- Anyone who has parental responsibility for a child under the age of 16.
- Anyone appointed by the courts authorised in writing.
- A representative of a deceased patient authorised in writing.
All access to health and other records are dealt with by the Subject Access Team, part of the Legal Services Department.
You can make a formal request in writing to the Subject Access Team. Please state who you are and how you can be contacted. We may also ask you for proof of identity.
You may wish to obtain all, or parts of your health record, so please do specify any particular treatment dates or sections you wish to view.
We will endeavour to comply with the request as soon as possible but will always complete within 30 days of receipt of the validated request for records.
You can submit a request online by clicking here.
Please send your completed application forms or written requests to access your health records to the following address:
Subject Access Team
Macclesfield District General Hospital